Maintaining your vocal quality involves many factors, most importantly, a good immune system.
The slightest change in your larynx might affect your vocal performance. Therefore, an effective and responsive immune system, protecting your larynx properly, will benefit your vocal maintenance.
Potential risks to your larynx
scientists studying the human voice system say, jokingly, that your vocal cords are located in the worst place possible: between the esophagus and the windpipe. As a result, it may be affected by acids ascending from the esophagus, or by phlegm flowing down from the upper and lower respiratory system.
In addition, since the larynx is so close to our air intakes, namely the mouth and nose, harmful microorganisms entering the body can easily affect it.
Your vocal system can also be affected by chronic or acute inflammatory conditions. These can result from not only microorganisms but also allergies and acid and inflammation-triggering diet, such as excessive consumption of animal proteins, as well as the overstraining or improper use of your vocal cords.
All these might harm the natural immunity of your vocal cords, and result in lesions.
Major causes of immune system dysfunction
Primarily, it is an improper diet, of empty carbohydrates from processed food. To be more specific, try to avoid the following foods:
- White sugar and all products containing it;
- White flour and all products containing it;
These foods harm your digestive system, stimulating the growth of harmful microorganisms and weakening your immune system. It is to be stressed that a regular consumption of empty carbohydrates may result in long-term harm to your immune system and other bio-systems.
Also carefully avoid the following:
- Excessive consumption of acid/basic foods;
- Allergenic foods
- Foods triggering inflammation
So what can we do?
- Make sure your diet follows the 20/80 rule: if 80 percent of your diet consists of healthy food, you can indulge in a “guilty pleasure” food for the other 20 percent.
In other words, increase the amount of highly nutritional foods, while decreasing that of unhealthy ones.
If you suffer from phlegm or long-term inflammatory conditions, we recommend using TMRG Classic Spray and TMRG Voice Saline Oil Spray.
If you suffer from acid reflux, we recommend using TMRG Voice Powder.
So keep safe-and sound!
Talya, TMRG Voice Specialist